Saturday, May 1, 2010

Altered & Embellished Girls T-Shirt


My daughter has very broad shoulders and I frequently find myself making alterations to her clothes so the length is appropriate. Back in the '80s, when my mom was doing this for me, the extra bits of fabric became matching hair scrunchies, but the hair scrunchie has no place in 2010. My daughter loves the princess frills, so I decided to try out a technique to embellish the otherwise basic shirt. I had read about the technique in Threads Magazine a few months back. (Sorry I couldn't find a link!) It's a super simple process. (1) Cut strips of fabric. (2) Stitch a basting stitch down the center. (3) Gather. (4) Pin to fabric and stitch. (5) To create flowers use a stabilizing fabric and stitch in a circle then sew onto shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment